Organized Home

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Great Household Tips from Moms to Moms...


Everyday Cheapskate
Good Tips Jog the Memory
02/17/2010
My favorite tips submitted by readers are the ones that are not only useful, but also entertaining. Today’s first tip made me laugh as I imagined the tipster looking high and low for her car keys, failing to remember for a moment that she’d put them into the refrigerator. It occurs to me that the refrigerator, at work or home, makes for a great “key keeper.” It’s just quirky enough that it might work to prevent the problem of the lost keys.

NEVER FORGET. To save time after work when I need only a few items, I go to the grocery store on my lunch hour. I put the groceries into the refrigerator at work. So I don’t forget to take them home, I put my car keys into the bag with the groceries. Forgetting to grab the groceries is no problem, since my keys are with them. Diane, Oregon

CLEVER NUT. To chop nuts, measure the amount to be chopped into a small plastic bag and seal or fold over one end, leaving just a small corner for air to escape. Pound the nuts in the bag on a cutting board with a wooden or metal meat tenderizer. This saves time and eliminates clean up because you just pour the nuts into the recipe and throw away the bag!Sally P., Ohio

BACON SECRET. To keep your bacon from shrinking when you fry it, roll it in flour and place it in a nonstick skillet. Fry over low heat. You will be amazed how the bacon will keep its shape and size as it cooks. Sue C., West Virginia

BANANA JAM. Instead of throwing bananas out once they turn brown, I slice them into a small casserole dish, sprinkle them with one or two tablespoons of lemon juice, dot with a few tablespoons of butter, add two or three tablespoons of brown sugar and a handful each of chocolate chips and marshmallows. I cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake it for about 20 minutes, stirring half way through. Served in dessert cups with a dollop of whipped cream, my kids think this is a delicious treat! Amanda P., e-mail

CRACKER SAVER. If you open packages of crackers and find they have gone stale, just spread them on a cookie sheet and pop them into the oven on broil. Watch them carefully for a few minutes, and when they start to turn a little brown they are crisp again, perfect for eating. 
Diane, e-mail
©Copyright 2010 Mary Hunt
Everyday Cheapskate is a Registered Trademark

No comments: